20 Year Celebrations
Download Conference Weekend application form here
NOSAS started in 1998, see the About NOSAS tab. A lot has happened since! NOSAS now has more than 125 members, and provides a range of activities, meetings and archaeological projects. We thought it time to celebrate.
The focus of our proposed celebration will be the weekend of 23rd -25th March 2018. That weekend will include the following events. Please click on the links for more information.
- Friday afternoon – 1400: a walk around Muirtown Basin on the Caledonian Canal. See the Blog post here and further info here.
- Friday evening - 1800: buffet meal, Highland Council Chambers
- Friday evening - 1900: Fraser Hunter, Curator of National Museums of Scotland: What did the Romans ever do for the Highlands?
- Saturday 0930-1700 – a Conference in Highland Council Chambers Inverness, see below. The aim of the conference is to review 20 years of Highland’s community archaeology, and to peer into the next 20 years. What will change? What will we be doing then?
- Details of the conference speakers can be found here.
- Saturday evening – 1830 fpr 1900: a conference dinner in the Mercure Hotel, Inverness
- Sunday – 1030-1730: a guided field trip, led by Meryl Marshall, in the company of Eve Boyle (Historic Environment Scotland) at Inverlaidnan and Sluggan Bridge, south of Inverness. Further info here.
Looking Backwards, Looking Forwards:
20 Years of NOSAS & Community Archaeology in the Highlands
Highland Council Chambers, Inverness
|Morning Session: Looking Backwards Chair - Roland Spencer-Jones, NOSAS|
|Afternoon Session: Looking Forwards Chair - Andy Heald, AOC|
In addition, NOSAS is undertaking a number of field trips towards a new publication called Old Routes through Highlands. You can read more details about the publication - here. There is a new blog post by Meryl on one of the proposed routes - Walking the old “Fish Road”: Aultguish Inn to Little Garve Bridge.